Tuesday, November 26, 2013

EGG ON FACE

Hello and welcome back..... 9pm on 26/11/2013, I was enjoying a cup of tea and listening to Aircraft flying around when the Uniden desktop picked up a strange signal on frequency 121.500Mhz....

121.500 is the Aircraft Emergency beacon signal......

I changed radios to the Alinco handheld and headed outside, Yep still getting a strong strange tone sound even down the back yard. The sound would tone up and then down...

I waited for 15min and checked again....Still going....

I live in the Blue Mountains in NSW and are surrounded by Bush so its not uncommon for bush walkers to get lost, we also get a lot of airplanes sightseeing so I had visions of someone lost, in the dark and maybe injured waiting beside their beacon

Time for action....

I rang our local Police and explained what I was hearing and they thanked me for reporting it.....

A few minutes later I got a phone call from the Emergency Management in Canberra, after going through a few tests (Radio signal was still going).... I was told a Satellite would be overhead shortly....

I headed outside again with the handheld listening to this strange signal and looking at the night sky thinking about hopefully some poor person lying in a ditch would be found soon.....

Then around 20 mins later the signal stopped......

I came inside and checked the desktop, yes it had stopped too.....

In my pocket was a gentle sound of static from my handheld, had they found him??...

Then I noticed something....The house was dark. the kids had gone to bed and switched off the TV and the lights..

I turned the TV back on and suddenly the VCR lit up and presto....

The signal came back on the radio....Loud

SHIT,.... I said to myself, "You can't be Serious" I muttered to myself, switching off the video and listening to the signal disappearing...

As it turned out, the strange signal that only presented itself on the Emergency Aircraft ch 121.500Mhz was an electrical sound from the VCR, so strong it could be heard from near my next door neighbors fence which is quiet a distance away.....

I then had to ring the Police back and explain what I had found....

Who feels like an Idiot.....I DO


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.